OT Password problem -

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 14:33:40 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-09 16:52, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:
> On 09/07/15 13:16, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> With no previous experience? Probably not. Now? I'd... be "very
>> cautious" about buying a refurbished computer. Especially from someone
>> that deals in "used" computers.
>>
>> You're probably better off buying from an honest individual making a
>> one-time sale, actually. (The problem there of course is knowing whether
>> or not the individual*is*  honest.)
>
> My experience has been different. I bought a motherboard from Craig's
> list from a local, It worked for a couple of weeks and died, refused to
> complete the POST. He didn't want to hear about it, it was as is I
> guess. Computers I've bought on-line from dealers specializing in used
> equipment have always worked and held up long enough for me to want to
> replace them with something newer. They have even settled problems with
> a phone call.

I do admit I have very limited experience, and that not first-hand :-).
Personally I always buy new when I can, at least for things like
computer equipment. (And cars. If I *could*, I'd prefer new houses, too,
though at least there you do inspections when you buy "used". Things
like books, furniture, etc. where visible condition is usually a good
indicator as to the actual condition, are another matter though.)

> Today's problem is solved. I e-mailed them this morning and they
> responded this afternoon. The dealer support guy [ZoomUsa] requested the
> system number, I provided it, and he immediately returned the password
> required with the necessary instructions.

That's good to hear; it means this dealer isn't locking the BIOS because
they are trying to hide something or wring more money out of you, and
probably have a more benign reason (maybe to stop people that don't know
what they're doing from accidentally bricking their machines). Anyway,
glad they were able to help you.

Good luck with your new Fedora system! :-)

--
Matthew