rebooting with new kernel

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jul 13 03:31:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Paul Cartwright <pbcartwright at gmail.com> wrote:

> problem is, only a blinking cursor, no grub menu.. that's my problem.
> I know how to edit grub menus using e..  since I have multiple ( mostly
> linux) OSes, grub gets updated every now & then, and I use "e" to make
> sure I am booting the latest kernel.

kernel update RPMs call new-kernel-pkg which in turn call grubby, but
none of that stuff ever touches any installed bootloader code. The
only thing modified is the grub.cfg. I don't know how/why, but it's
possible the modification of the grub.cfg is actually corrupting it
but then GRUB should complain if it can't parse grub.cfg

Sounds like this is a computer with BIOS firmware. On BIOS, Fedora
puts grub.cfg at /boot/grub2/, and on UEFI it's at
/boot/efi/EFI/fedora/.

--
Chris Murphy