OT Password problem -

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:51:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-10 12:42, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 07/10/2015 07:33 AM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> probably have a more benign reason (maybe to stop people that don't know
>> what they're doing from accidentally bricking their machines).
>
> That's no excuse.  Once you've paid for the machine and received it,
> what you do with it is none of their business.

...so if I sell you a gun, I should be sure to ship it to you with the
safety *off*? Sure, that might be more convenient, but OTOH it's not
like I welded the safety in the "on" position.

I agree with the sentiment, and that's why I take a very low view of
dealers that password lock the BIOS *and won't tell you the password*.
If they're happy to tell you... I still don't necessarily agree with
having one in the first place, but I'm much less inclined to ascribe
sinister motives.

(Or, as Bob indicated, maybe it was an accident. Maybe they test the
BIOS password lock of every computer they sell and sometimes forget to
remove the password again.)

--
Matthew