Fedora-22 KDE panel

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Jul 14 13:40:09 UTC 2015

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> A very ignorant question - I see everyone refers to KDE Plasma.
>> Is there in fact another non-Plasma version of KDE
>> that one could run under Fedora?
>
> There have been some name changes, see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE#Brand_repositioning:

Thanks very much for your response.
I skipped through the document above,
but decided serious study was not a fruitful use of my time.

> "After the repositioning, the name KDE no longer stands for K Desktop
> Environment, as it now acts as an umbrella brand for software produced
> by the community. What would have been previously known as KDE 4 will
> now be referred as "KDE Software Compilation 4" (abbreviated "KDE SC
> 4").[10] Regardless, many users still refer to it as KDE 4. With the
> releases of Frameworks 5 and Plasma 5, the term "Software Compilation"
> is again retired, in favor of the names of each specific product the
> KDE community produces.[11] Many users still refer to various parts of
> the project (particularly Plasma) as KDE 5."

I'm afraid my conclusion on reading this is that the KDE team
are seriously lacking in common sense.

As far as I can see, the term Fedora/KDE is unambiguous,
and the addition of the word Plasma adds nothing to it.
I put it in the same pigeon-hole as saying GNU/Linux for Linux.

> The Fedora KDE list would be the place to discuss this (I think you
> also hang out there), see

I should indeed have sent my post to the redhat.fedora.kde newsgroup;
but for reasons that escape me my posts to that newsgroup (through gmane)
sometimes appear, and sometimes do not appear.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net