rpmbuild error in F22 (looking for desktop file)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 08:59:06 UTC 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 00:27:53 -0500, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

> > > I guess it might be helpful to know the difference between a desktop
> > > and a desktop.in file. Could someone please tell me about this
> > > difference?

A *.in file is an input/include file, i.e. a template file that is
taken by a tool to generate the complete output file by filling in the
missing details (such as unexpanded variables).

> The app looks cool and the current developer (who I contacted) is a high school student but does not know much about packaging for Fedora. He did suggest using Alien for creating the spec file from the debian package (but he did not know much about it, and I had not even heard about it) so I passed on that. I also thought that perhaps the debian package needs a Debian machine.

Do some trouble-shooting. As a first step, forget rpmbuild. Run the
same commands you run in %build and %install in your terminal. If
the commands fail, you need to fix the source code and cannot blame
rpmbuild or the spec file.

> Executing(%install): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.X1IL6J
> [...]
> running install_egg_info
> Writing /home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/typhoon-0.8.9.4-1.fc22.x86_64/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/typhoon-0.8.94-py2.7.egg-info
> ("ERROR: Can't find", '/home/maitra/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/typhoon-0.8.9.4-1.fc22.x86_64/usr/share/applications/typhoon.desktop')
> [...]

You may need to debug install_egg_info for this piece of software. This
error is not a spec file error, because your spec %files section does not
refer to this .desktop file anywhere [yet]. If the file were installed
into the buildroot, you would see a different error (rpmbuild complaining
about installed files not present in %files section).