unmaintained bugs

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 15:54:03 UTC 2015

You are assuming that the maintainers are employed/paid to maintain
that project.  In quite a number of cases they are not paid for it, so
given that you may or may not get it fixed.   And if I was a volunteer
for a project and my "supervisor" started harassing me, then you would
need a new maintainer for that project.   Remember they are not being
paid and you are not paying for the product.  Even when one has an
expensive paid support contract getting some things fix is still often
impossible/difficult and in that case there is some limited contract
requirements for the support organization to help you.

Remember most of the less used parts are volunteers they may or may
not have time to fix the bug.   I have fixed a few bugs that were in
stuff that I used and that I was pretty sure there was no paid person
to maintain.  I submitted the fix/patch back to fedora and they fairly
quickly put that patch into an update.   This is how open source
generally can work, others see the bug, figure out the fix and submit
the fix.