unmaintained bugs

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at alice.it
Sat Jul 25 17:15:02 UTC 2015

Roger Heflin ha scritto il 25/07/2015 alle 17:54:
> You are assuming that the maintainers are employed/paid to maintain
> that project.  In quite a number of cases they are not paid for it, so
> given that you may or may not get it fixed.   And if I was a volunteer
> for a project and my "supervisor" started harassing me, then you would
> need a new maintainer for that project.   Remember they are not being
> paid and you are not paying for the product.  Even when one has an
> expensive paid support contract getting some things fix is still often
> impossible/difficult and in that case there is some limited contract
> requirements for the support organization to help you.
>
> Remember most of the less used parts are volunteers they may or may
> not have time to fix the bug.   I have fixed a few bugs that were in
> stuff that I used and that I was pretty sure there was no paid person
> to maintain.  I submitted the fix/patch back to fedora and they fairly
> quickly put that patch into an update.   This is how open source
> generally can work, others see the bug, figure out the fix and submit
> the fix.
>
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 4:02 AM, antonio montagnani
> <antonio.montagnani at alice.it> wrote:
>> Chris Murphy ha scritto il 24/07/2015 alle 16:47:

>>> responsive |riˈspänsiv|
>>> adjective
>>> 1 reacting quickly and positively
>>>
>>> I'd say a maintainer who responds to an email saying not to contact
>>> him on that email, is non-responsive.

no, I am not assuming that maintainers are paid, but when you are a
volunteer you must be honest to you and other people to say when you
cannot continue to be a volunteer. And the circle is broken when the
final user reports a bug but nobody seems to be working on it for a long
time and you have no feedback

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52