unmaintained bugs

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jul 25 17:06:44 UTC 2015

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 11:02:11 +0200
antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani at alice.it> wrote:

> I find really silly that when you are encharged of a bug, there is no
> kind of supervisor checking if you are are working on it and any
> problem arising....Imagine it at Nasa, ehi guy, I have no time to
> check your bug and don't bother me :-)

Thats not how open source projects work. ;)

Keep in mind that maintainers of Fedora packages are largely doing so
in their spare time for their own reasons. They may like/use the
package, or they may want to help out other people who do, or any of a
number of other reasons.

Additionally, bugs/issues are present in all software, and maintainers
need to figure out where to spend their time.

I find
http://www.rants.org/2010/01/10/bugs-users-and-tech-debt/
to be a great read on this. :)

As to the responsive question and emails, personally I would surely
respond to a personal email asking if I was still around/working on
some package, but I would very much dislike getting bugs directly on
personal email. It's bad for a lot of reasons for bug fixing purposes:

* It doesn't allow easy filtering into one place so you can work on
  bugs in the time you have set aside to do so.

* It cuts out all co-maintainers of a package from the conversation,
  some of which may be more active or know the solution to your bug.

* It's hard to notify anyone who might be interested in a fix.

* It doesn't allow easy transfer. If a maintainer decides to hand a
  package off to another maintainer(s) they may not have those emails
  or know anything about those bugs.

So, please do file bugs or issues in bugzilla.

kevin