Fedora 22 WS live i686 fails

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 29 08:34:06 UTC 2015

On 07/29/15 01:55, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Yes it is an issue between burners.
>
> I cannot switch from one (burning) and another one (read)!!!
.
is this problem reversible? ie, neither can read the other?

this is may be due to track alignment between to drives.

> The reason that I a doing that is the network, good compare with bad!
> Even if the DVD is checked, it does not mean that it is going to work!
.
it may be better if you consider using a boot/install usb flash memory.
over the past year, i have moved away from optical as i find usb the way
to go. i still use dvd to archiving.

"unetbootlin" and "live usb creator" are great programs to use.

>> dvd's not being from reputable maker can also cause problems.
>
> Philips, Imation, Sony?
.
nothing wrong with those names. maybe age, but not names.

same applies to blanks. i have used memorex for years and their optical
disk are as good as their magnet tapes that i have used from mid 60's.
"Is it live, or is it Memorex?" a very true slogan. ;-)

>> when buying a new burner, remember you want dvd-r to match dvd-r blanks
>
> What does it mean?
.
thru out my years of playing with computers, i have read many articles on
what lead up to the current day optical disk and drives from their first
concept during early 70's when i built my first computer, an s100 system.

there has been little change from original, but a whole lot of improvement.

instead of trying to explain, i believe it would be easier to understand if
you rely on the informative from wikipedia.org as it is too much to try to
condense in a post.

  the drive;
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_drive

  the disk;
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc

  types of disk;
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Optical_storage_media

use last link to locate info for the various disk types.

--

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.