F22 KDE How To Remove "Software Updates" Widget? (Solved)

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Jun 1 22:26:13 UTC 2015

On 06/01/2015 02:55 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/02/15 05:23, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Did it at least ask you for the root password? If it didn't and you
>> could do an update/install as a non-wheel user, then that's a HUGE
>> security hole and I'd BZ it immediately.
>
> Just checked and the "good" news is that a user must enter the root password to add/erase packages using the graphical tools.

Yes, "good" (emphasis on the quotes) is the proper way to put it.
Updates can break stuff. Any operation that could break a functioning
system should require root authentication. I'd bugzilla that--probably
against polkit.
-   Let us think the unthinkable. Let us do the undoable. Let us     -
-   prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may  -
-                      not eff it up after all.                      -
-                                                 -- Douglas Adams   -