Fedup to F22: No "System Upgrade" in GRUB menu

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jun 3 21:49:26 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 02:44 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I tried to upgrade an x86_64 Intel desktop today per the instructions
> located here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp#How_Can_I_Upgrade_My_System_with_FedUp.3F
>

> and
>
> having successfully done an i386 Dell laptop recently.
>
> On reboot, there was no "System Upgrade" choice in the GRUB menu.
>
> I reviewed the instructions, which advised rebuilding grub (the
> assumption was that the grub was incompatible because it was from
> another Linux installation; in my case it was fresh install of F21).
>
> The commands that were issued (from the instructions):
>       grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>      grub2-install /dev/sda (replace /dev/sda by any other device you
> prefer to boot from)  (in my case /dev/sda1)
>
> I rebooted, and I was back in F21.

"grub2-install /dev/sda1" would put the grub loader into the boot
sector of the first partition (possibly your /boot or /
filesystem)--NOT the MBR of the drive.

The machine boots from the MBR of the first drive. That's why you use
"/dev/sda" and not "/dev/sda1" (put the boot on the MBR of the drive,
not the partition).
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -