Fedup to F22: No "System Upgrade" in GRUB menu

Max Pyziur pyz at brama.com
Wed Jun 3 22:12:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 06/03/2015 02:44 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>
>>  Greetings,
>>
>>  I tried to upgrade an x86_64 Intel desktop today per the instructions
>>  located here:
>>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp#How_Can_I_Upgrade_My_System_with_FedUp.3F
>>

>>  and
>>
>>  having successfully done an i386 Dell laptop recently.
>>
>>  On reboot, there was no "System Upgrade" choice in the GRUB menu.
>>
>>  I reviewed the instructions, which advised rebuilding grub (the
>>  assumption was that the grub was incompatible because it was from
>>  another Linux installation; in my case it was fresh install of F21).
>>
>>  The commands that were issued (from the instructions):
>>       grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>>       grub2-install /dev/sda (replace /dev/sda by any other device you
>>  prefer to boot from)  (in my case /dev/sda1)
>>
>>  I rebooted, and I was back in F21.
>
> "grub2-install /dev/sda1" would put the grub loader into the boot
> sector of the first partition (possibly your /boot or /
> filesystem)--NOT the MBR of the drive.
>
> The machine boots from the MBR of the first drive. That's why you use
> "/dev/sda" and not "/dev/sda1" (put the boot on the MBR of the drive,
> not the partition).

Thanks for the quick reply. I repeated the process per your correction.
However, my bootloader reads something like "Linux with Fedup" as the
first choice.

After choosing that there is no system upgrade; rather, the machine
returns to its regular desktop settings

In a terminal window, the following shows up:
root at brill /var/cache/system-upgrade> uname -a
Linux brill 4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 21 13:10:33 UTC 2015
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Should I restart the fedup process (two hours+ of download for 2751
packages) or are there just a few steps that could be retraced in order to
resume the system upgrade?

Thanks again,

Max Pyziur
pyz at brama.com