Fedup to F22: No "System Upgrade" in GRUB menu

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Jun 3 22:55:50 UTC 2015

On 06/03/2015 03:12 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2015, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> On 06/03/2015 02:44 PM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>>>
>>>  Greetings,
>>>
>>>  I tried to upgrade an x86_64 Intel desktop today per the instructions
>>>  located here:
>>>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedUp#How_Can_I_Upgrade_My_System_with_FedUp.3F
>>>

>>>  and
>>>
>>>  having successfully done an i386 Dell laptop recently.
>>>
>>>  On reboot, there was no "System Upgrade" choice in the GRUB menu.
>>>
>>>  I reviewed the instructions, which advised rebuilding grub (the
>>>  assumption was that the grub was incompatible because it was from
>>>  another Linux installation; in my case it was fresh install of F21).
>>>
>>>  The commands that were issued (from the instructions):
>>>       grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
>>>       grub2-install /dev/sda (replace /dev/sda by any other device you
>>>  prefer to boot from)  (in my case /dev/sda1)
>>>
>>>  I rebooted, and I was back in F21.
>>
>> "grub2-install /dev/sda1" would put the grub loader into the boot
>> sector of the first partition (possibly your /boot or /
>> filesystem)--NOT the MBR of the drive.
>>
>> The machine boots from the MBR of the first drive. That's why you use
>> "/dev/sda" and not "/dev/sda1" (put the boot on the MBR of the drive,
>> not the partition).
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I repeated the process per your correction.
> However, my bootloader reads something like "Linux with Fedup" as the
> first choice.
>
> After choosing that there is no system upgrade; rather, the machine
> returns to its regular desktop settings
>
> In a terminal window, the following shows up:
> root at brill /var/cache/system-upgrade> uname -a
> Linux brill 4.0.4-301.fc22.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 21 13:10:33 UTC 2015
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Should I restart the fedup process (two hours+ of download for 2751
> packages) or are there just a few steps that could be retraced in order
> to resume the system upgrade?

I think that's the one that does the actual update. I haven't done an
F22 upgrade yet, so the text in the wiki may not reflect the F22
terminology.

Try booting that "Linux with Fedup" thing and see if it does the
upgrade.
-  Money can't buy happiness, but it can take the sting out of being -
-                             miserable!                             -