How to figure out which package provides the "Fixed 16" font

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Jun 7 14:51:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks again!!

> When I do a edit->profile preferences in an xterm, I can then select
> custom font in the general tab.

I wonder if we are discussing different "xterm" applications.

So, when you say that you do an edit->profile preferences in an xterm, are you also talking of the xterm application, obtained using "dnf install xterm"? (Because I do not get such an edit profile preferences there). What I get, upon a click of the third right mouse button with ctrl pressed is a bunch of options, one of which is Huge. This is equivalent to xterm -fn 10x20.

On sylpheed in Edit Preferences, that font used to correspond to Fixed 16. However, while this is still set from my preferences, it no longer gives me the font I am talking about (the same as using xterm -fn 10x20). It did so, all the way up at least from pre-Fedora (RH8 or something) to Fedora 21.

> If I click in the font box, all the available fonts come up.
> In that list is a font called Fixed Regular.
> Is that the font?
> There is a slider at the bottom of the font selection window that
> allows for the selection of font size.  You should be able to adjust
> that to 16, if it is available in that size.
>
> The default seems to be monospace courier.
>
> In fonts, *fixed* is often a synonym for bitmapped, as opposed to
> vector fonts, where the shape is expressed as algorithms, and thus
> scales with size.  So, fixed is an adjective, not a noun; there are
> lots of fixed fonts, meaning the positions of the bits that create the
> shape are absolute, and restricted to only that size.  Resizing a fixed
> font creates jagged edges because the shape is resized as a block.
> Like zooming in on a jpg or png.

I see. Thanks again! I like the fixed fonts because they are all aligned from one line to the other. This really helps (me) in programming and writing documents and e-mails. Within the fixed, this 10x20 is my favorite because it is large while also looking compact. Therefore, I would like this back if at all possible.

Best wishes,
Ranjan