How to figure out which package provides the "Fixed 16" font

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sun Jun 7 15:43:38 UTC 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:51:22 -0500
Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:

> I wonder if we are discussing different "xterm" applications.
>
> So, when you say that you do an edit->profile preferences in an
> xterm, are you also talking of the xterm application, obtained using
> "dnf install xterm"? (Because I do not get such an edit profile
> preferences there). What I get, upon a click of the third right mouse
> button with ctrl pressed is a bunch of options, one of which is Huge.
> This is equivalent to xterm -fn 10x20.

From within an xterm, running in X
$ rpm -qi xterm
Name        : xterm
Version     : 308
Release     : 3.fc21
Architecture: x86_64

I have an icon on the desktop that starts it with double click.

> On sylpheed in Edit Preferences, that font used to correspond to
> Fixed 16. However, while this is still set from my preferences, it no
> longer gives me the font I am talking about (the same as using xterm
> -fn 10x20). It did so, all the way up at least from pre-Fedora (RH8
> or something) to Fedora 21.

I use claws, an offshoot of sylpheed, and I can find the same Fixed
Regular font available there, with the same ability to set the size.

> I see. Thanks again! I like the fixed fonts because they are all
> aligned from one line to the other. This really helps (me) in
> programming and writing documents and e-mails. Within the fixed, this
> 10x20 is my favorite because it is large while also looking compact.
> Therefore, I would like this back if at all possible.

If no scaling is required, and the bit density is high enough, and the
screen bit density matches the font bit density, say 100 dpi, then fixed
fonts will be clearer than vectorized fonts, because they are
customized for that exact use case.  The difference between an off the
rack suit, and a custom tailored suit.