How to figure out which package provides the "Fixed 16" font

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Sun Jun 7 16:03:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

Thanks again!

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 08:43:38 -0700 stan <stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2015 09:51:22 -0500
> Ranjan Maitra <maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com> wrote:
>

> > I wonder if we are discussing different "xterm" applications.
> >
> > So, when you say that you do an edit->profile preferences in an
> > xterm, are you also talking of the xterm application, obtained using
> > "dnf install xterm"? (Because I do not get such an edit profile
> > preferences there). What I get, upon a click of the third right mouse
> > button with ctrl pressed is a bunch of options, one of which is Huge.
> > This is equivalent to xterm -fn 10x20.
>
> From within an xterm, running in X
> $ rpm -qi xterm
> Name        : xterm
> Version     : 308
> Release     : 3.fc21
> Architecture: x86_64
>
> I have an icon on the desktop that starts it with double click.

Interesting that you have this option (to set preferences graphically). When I called the xterm fom the commandline, I get no such interface.

> > On sylpheed in Edit Preferences, that font used to correspond to
> > Fixed 16. However, while this is still set from my preferences, it no
> > longer gives me the font I am talking about (the same as using xterm
> > -fn 10x20). It did so, all the way up at least from pre-Fedora (RH8
> > or something) to Fedora 21.
>
> I use claws, an offshoot of sylpheed, and I can find the same Fixed
> Regular font available there, with the same ability to set the size.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I have the availability but for Fixed->Regular->16, but with that combinationunder regular, I no longer get what it used to be (which was the same font as for xterm -fn 10x20) but a different font. (Is this a gtk-2/3 issue? I seem to think that sylpheed and claws-mail also is a gtk2 application).

> If no scaling is required, and the bit density is high enough, and the
> screen bit density matches the font bit density, say 100 dpi, then fixed
> fonts will be clearer than vectorized fonts, because they are
> customized for that exact use case.  The difference between an off the
> rack suit, and a custom tailored suit.

Agreed! :-) I spent time ages ago to get a good rack suit, or so I thought, and since that has always worked, I decided not to bother with more changes. But I wonder if the manufacturer has gone out of business or has a new distributor, since xterm is still able to pull in that font:-) I still am trying to locate the distributor.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Best wishes,
Ranjan