workstation spin

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Jun 8 05:55:21 UTC 2015

> Am 07.06.2015 um 22:28 schrieb Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84 at verizon.net>:
>
> Someone please enlighten me. What does the current workstation spin
> actually have to do with work?
>
> On a workstation one might want to do some development, C/C++, java, web,
> python, latex, modeling, engineering, whatever. One might want to have at
> least windows that come with minimization buttons already, to configure
> our own shortcuts. I mean, really, do I have to get/enable extensions
> just to get minimization/maximization buttons on my windows?

….

> I know this will be classified as a rant, and there will be those who say
> "why don't you do it?". I don't mean to be negative, I just want to point
> out the need for an actual workstation spin, in the hope that someone in
> the steering committee would agree.

It might be qualified as rant, yes. That discussion is closed and in some way lost for those who try to use Fedora for real productive work.

And „workstation“ is not a spin but a kind of „product“ or „edition“ in contrast to server and cloud. You must not take it literally. „desktop“ might have been more appropriate

On the login screen you can switch to „Gnome Classic“ (the round symbol besides the login button) which gives you a desktop better for real work (the same as with the current enterprise line). With F22 the Classic desktop is quite ok, again, and easier to use as having to configure all that extension stuff by yourself.

At the end you may better switch to a „real“ spin, i.e. XFCE or KDE desktop. In particular, XFCE has obviously benefited greatly from the disappointment of Gnome 3 in recent years and has "grown up“. For me it's really become usable. The Gnome community is a lost case.

—
Dr. Peter Boy
Universität Bremen
Mary-Somerville-Str. 5
28359 Bremen
Germany

pb at zes.uni-bremen.de
www.zes.uni-bremen.de

Are you looking for a web content management system for scientific research organizations?
Have a look at http://www.scientificcms.org