workstation spin

David Cary Hart dc.hart at slowlyboiledfrog.com
Mon Jun 8 17:09:10 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 01:55 AM, Peter Boy wrote:
>> I know this will be classified as a rant, and there will be those who say
>> "why don't you do it?". I don't mean to be negative, I just want to point
>> out the need for an actual workstation spin, in the hope that someone in
>> the steering committee would agree.
>>
> It might be qualified as rant, yes. That discussion is closed and in some way lost for those who try to use Fedora for real productive work.
>
> And „workstation“ is not a spin but a kind of „product“ or „edition“ in contrast to server and cloud. You must not take it literally. „desktop“ might have been more appropriate
>
> On the login screen you can switch to „Gnome Classic“ (the round symbol besides the login button) which gives you a desktop better for real work (the same as with the current enterprise line). With F22 the Classic desktop is quite ok, again, and easier to use as having to configure all that extension stuff by yourself.
>
> At the end you may better switch to a „real“ spin, i.e. XFCE or KDE desktop. In particular, XFCE has obviously benefited greatly from the disappointment of Gnome 3 in recent years and has "grown up“. For me it's really become usable. The Gnome community is a lost case.

I could not agree with you more. I don't know, for the life of me, how
we are attracting new Windows users. Over the weekend I installed two
virtual machines from the workstation spin (trying to diagnose a
problem) . You end up with that idiotic bar at the top and an empty
desktop - neither of which can be customized. "Activities?" Give me a
break. People want a way to get to the applications that they need to
use. Switching desktops, by the way, is no simple matter (I'll refrain
from the rant).

Gnome has been the default desktop forever. Were it up to me it would
XFCE (in spite of the fact that I use KDE). The problem is not the
shortcomings of Gnome - it's getting anyone to listen.

--
David C. Hart - South Beach
http://www.slowlyboiledfrog.com