dnf whatprovides and library files

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 10 01:35:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:26:36AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I wonder why they left it up to the user to determine symbolic links
> are involved and not followed. Oh, well.

It's because what's being searched is the database of files provided by
a package. The package doesn't actually provide the symlink (that's in
the separate `filesystem` package), and so there's no match. To figure
it out, the depsolver would have to also look at all of the other
packages for symlinks and decide if they're relevant to your query.
(Or, it could have a special kludge in place for this particular case,
as yum does. But getting rid of kludges like that was, for better or
worse, a design goal.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>