dnf whatprovides and library files

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Wed Jun 10 02:12:58 UTC 2015

On 06/10/15 09:35, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 09:26:36AM +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> I wonder why they left it up to the user to determine symbolic links
>> are involved and not followed. Oh, well.
> It's because what's being searched is the database of files provided by
> a package. The package doesn't actually provide the symlink (that's in
> the separate `filesystem` package), and so there's no match. To figure
> it out, the depsolver would have to also look at all of the other
> packages for symlinks and decide if they're relevant to your query.
> (Or, it could have a special kludge in place for this particular case,
> as yum does. But getting rid of kludges like that was, for better or
> worse, a design goal.)

While that does make sense it ends up being less than helpful for the average user to have to be aware of that.  I dare say most end users don't care if a programmer has to jump through hoops to give a result which they feel "appropriate".    :-)

Anyway, now that I know I won't make that mistake again....for at least another week.  :-)

--
Sorta what I want to say when folks habitually complain about Fedora - https://youtu.be/ZArl8fTfub4