f22: how to change default gateway via line command

J.Witvliet at mindef.nl J.Witvliet at mindef.nl
Wed Jun 10 07:16:18 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [mailto:users-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Tim
Sent: woensdag 10 juni 2015 3:32
To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: f22: how to change default gateway via line command

On Wed, 2015-06-10 at 00:22 +0200, Dario Lesca wrote:
> But when I restart NM the gateway change again then this (stop NM) is
> not a valid solution for me.

For what it's worth, you're trying two mutually exclusive commands, as far as I can see.

NetworkManager automatically configures things as instructed by a DHCP server, or self-configures a link-local address, or activates a chosen user-configured network setting (the later may be an option for you, but you wanted to do stuff by the command line interface, and I'm unfamiliar with controlling NetworkManager that way).  I've certainly made new custom settings in the NetworkManager GUI, and chosen them to force manual changes to my network.

Using an IP command temporarily changes the current operating parameters, but doesn't change any stored configuration.

NetworkManager's next operation will do what it wants to do, again.
Overriding what you may have temporarily changed.

I would have thought that if you were making temporary changes, this wouldn't have mattered.  But it sounds like you want to make permanent changes, despite initially talking about making temporary ones, and going about it the wrong way.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.

George Orwell's '1984' was supposed to be a warning against tyranny, not a set of instructions for supposedly democratic governments.