F22 and the RPI2B

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Jun 11 17:29:42 UTC 2015

On 11/06/15 10:57, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> It's asking you for bobg's password, not root's.
> Modifying root's credentials won't touch bobg's.
.
I've created another sd card with the changes Jon Ingason suggested and
once more on the first boot it goes to a text screen asking for set up
data, password, etc, four items.

I am getting this text screen to set the initial conditions, I've set
the root password, Language, and time zone information. Apparently the
set user is disabled. But that all seems straight forward, however once
I've done that I don't know what to do next, I'm guessing "r" for
refresh which may be writing what I've entered and then "q" for quit?

"Please make your choice from above ["q" to quit | "c" to continue | "r"
to refresh]:_"

Earlier I set the password and "q". It then asks are you sure, if not
you may not be able to use the system [I paraphrase]. I could not ssh
into it and had to start from scratch with another sd card.

So now I try with the new memory card and try to connect via ssh:

[bobg at box10 ~]$ ssh  root at 192.168.1.83
root at 192.168.1.83's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root at 192.168.1.83's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root at 192.168.1.83's password:
Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password).

Well that did not work either. I am still locked out of the new install.
If nothing else it is secure!

I saved the SD card contents and can rewrite it but that's a slow
process no matter how I do it. There must be a way to undo that first
boot restriction? Even then I don't know how to respond to that menu
after entering the requested data? [I snapped a photo of the screen
should anyone be interested in that]

Can anyone make some sense out of this.

Bob

--