Install of F22 Fails on Optiplex 780 with Windows 7.1

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 15 03:35:35 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-06-14 at 09:25 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I tested the memory of the second unit before I even tried to install
> F22, and it failed within the first 60 seconds.

As a simple thing to try:  While taking anti-static precautions, remove
all the plug in cards on the motherboard (RAM, video, sound, etc.), and
reinsert them.  But if anything is dusty, carefully clean it before
reinsertion.

Some PC cases twist out of shape and pull out cards, disrupting
connections when they're picked up and moved, and require a bit of TLC
to fix them up.  It's yet one reason why computers fail when someone
does a new release installation - because they've moved the machine to
work on it.

> I wasted a lot of time trying to install F22 on the first machine.

The install routines, years ago, used to have an option to test your
RAM, and test the install media, before proceeding.  I don't know if
they still do.  While timeconsuming, they could be left to do it
unattended, and is better than finding out something was wrong
post-installation.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.