Something is deleting /var/run/syslogd.pid

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Jun 22 01:52:25 UTC 2015

Ed Greshko writes:

> On 06/22/15 08:13, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > After updating to F22, after the system is up for some period of time, I
> have not determine for how long, looks like something removes
> /var/run/syslogd.pid
>
> First of all, I find this odd.  The update to F22 should have resulted in an
> update from rsyslog-7.4.10-5.fc21.x86_64 to rsyslog-8.8.0-2.fc22.x86_64 with
> the PID now being /var/run/rsyslogd.pid.

It did.

> And, note there is a BZ on this, one should edit /etc/logrotate.d/syslog to
> reflect the change.

Ok, so that's the actual bug.

# rpm -qa | grep rsyslog
rsyslog-8.8.0-2.fc22.x86_64
[root at monster logrotate.d]# grep run /etc/logrotate.d/syslog
	/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2> /dev/null` 2> /dev/null
|| true
[root at monster logrotate.d]# ls -al /var/run/*syslog*
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 3 Jun 20 08:23 /var/run/rsyslogd.pid

> > I vaguely recall seeing some config files that defines expiration/cleanup
> retention period for stuff in /var/run. Anyone recall where that lives?
>
> Not sure about that at the moment.

After grepping around, it was /etc/tmpfiles.d that I was actually recalling.
I just thought something in there was nuking rsyslog's pid file, but it
turns out it is simply misspelled in logrotate.d