Something is deleting /var/run/syslogd.pid

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Jun 22 17:16:48 UTC 2015

On 06/21/2015 05:13 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> After updating to F22, after the system is up for some period of time, I
> have not determine for how long, looks like something removes
> /var/run/syslogd.pid
>
> Consequently, logrotate eventually rotates /var/log/messages to
> /var/log/messages-yyyymmdd (same for several other /var/log files), but
> can't find syslogd's PID to SIGHUP it, so that syslog can reopen the log
> files.
>
> I vaguely recall seeing some config files that defines
> expiration/cleanup retention period for stuff in /var/run. Anyone recall
> where that lives?

I think logrotate, by default, looks for /var/run/syslogd.pid (you'd
need to look at logrotate's config for it). The default logger is now
rsyslogd and the default PID file for it is /var/run/rsyslogd.pid.

Look for that file, then modify logrotate's config file to use it.
Looking at my machine, rsyslogd is running, but it did write its PID to
/var/run/syslogd.pid. Not sure how it did that.