[OT] HP Officejet Pro 8620

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 24 11:28:41 UTC 2015

On 06/24/2015 12:42 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 23 June 2015, g sent:
>> i carry around a pny 64G0 usb memory with legal docs, birth and
>> death certificates, passwords, moz bookmarks and address book in
>> moz format, html, and text, along with a few other important files.
>>

> Do you test it from time to time?  I wonder about the longevity of
> flash drives, particularly when in a static-creating environment.  I
> know some don't last long very well, but whether that's just down to
> self-decay, or accelerated by external factors, I don't know.
.
good question.

best answers i can give are;

 1- nope.
 2- it is a metal enclosed, approx 30.0 mm x 12.0 mm x 4.0 mm, around
     an inner plastic housing that has a key-fob with a 35.0 mm long
     loop cord.
 3- i have a directory on my system hdd that i write into to build
     what i want to carry with me. when i update, i 'rsync' from hdd
     to usb, then i 'du -sb' hdd directory, then same for usb and
     compare the 2.

granted, such does not give a byte for byte check, but when my
'round2it' rolls to it, i hope to come up with good a way to run a
checksum of a directory path to verify what is on usb drive to what
is on hdd.  [accepting suggestions]

i looked for package it came in for p/n, did not find, so i checked
pny site and found something similar, tho shorter;

  https://www.pny.com/HP_v221w_USB_Flash_Drive?sku=P-FD16GHP221-GE

i have 4 other metal usb flash drives.

  1 ea- easystore 16GB00, p/n SDUSBES1-016G-G11,
         approx 47.0 mm x 15.0 mm x 4.0 mm

        http://easystorememory.com/products-usb.html

  1 ea- symantec 2GB00 flash drive round tubular shaped
         w/ combo 1 white & 1 red led lights.

  2 ea- symantec 2GB00 flash drive, pad lock shaped.
         shackle extends and retracts usb connector.

the symantec flash drives where promos for registered symantec users.
if you are curious as to what they look like, let me know, i will
make some shots of them. ;-)

being aware of static problems from years back when cmos transistors
came out and later ic's, i can well imagine what can happen to a usb
flash drive and why i have 5 metal cased flash drives. i will never
buy an all plastic case usb flash drive.

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6