Firefox scrollbar problem

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sat Jun 27 22:41:24 UTC 2015

On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:56:07 +0200
Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 05:34:07PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >
> > This seems to explain why Firefox's scrollbar acquired the obnoxious
> > behavior of the left mouse button click resulting in the scroll
> > position jumping directly to the click point, instead of advancing
> > only by a single page. It's now necessary to use the right mouse
> > button to do the same thing that the left mouse button used to do.
>
> I use Firefox Nightly (not Fedora provided of course), and I do not
> see the behaviour you describe, still the old behaviour.  Are you
> sure it's not something else?
>
> My FF version: 41.0a1 (2015-06-27)

I compile nightly from a local hg repository with my own
configuration.  I am using gtk3 and I saw this scrolling behavior
before implementing the workaround. I was also using nightly as my
default browser instead of the fedora version, but several addons don't
work with nightly.  In particular, the maff save page add on seems to
work, but doesn't save the page.  I believe this is due to the new
sandbox feature in firefox.  Addons that affect content will have to be
rewritten to use frame scripts, to separate control from manipulation.
Apparently, this sandbox feature, which is to enhance security, will be
in the production versions by the end of this year.  At that point, I
expect all the addons will upgrade to the new style, and will fail on
older versions of firefox that don't support the feature.

For now, they still work properly on the fedora version.

I *think* the behavior was a compromise in gtk3 / gtk+ in order to allow
touch screens and pointers to both work with the same code.  But that
is just a guess.