Replacing cpu

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 27 23:59:54 UTC 2015

On 06/27/2015 02:21 PM, jd1008 wrote:
<<>>

> I noticed that during the installation of fc20, the air coming
> out of the exhaust vent was almost scalding if I kept my finger there
> for about a minute or so. By scalding, I mean if I had touched
> a metal surface of that temperature for say 30 seconds, I would
> have felt some pain.

scalding is too general of a word to use because if you touched
something hot enough to scalded your finger, you would end up with
a blister, as from 1st or 2nd degree burn, regardless of contact with
air or metal. 'pdf hot' would be more appropriate. ;-)

besides, fingers are not the best temperature gauges, readout is not
precise, erratic and varies too much.

what i did a few years back, i bought for $29.95, on sale, a Cen-Tech
Infrared Thermometer from;

  http://www.northerntool.com/

they now have an Ironton Infrared Thermometer for $49.95;

  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200620334_200620334

for less, do not know how good, radioshack has an infrared thermometer
on sale, if you can find a store with one, for $19.97;

http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/radioshack-ir-thermometer/2200170.html

much more accurate than fingers and because of no contact, no burn your
fingers.

> Also, I noticed that the cooling fan remained at normal operating
> speed, instead of spinning faster, as I usually hear it spin fast
> for about a few seconds when I power it on.
>
> So, I am not sure whether the problem is the fan or the cpu.

what is 'sensors' telling you about temp and speed?

> P.S: I also ran the memtest 86 full tests of 1 pass.
> I installed fc20 after it had reached somewhere near the middle
> of pass 2. It had detected no errors. 10 hours had passed since
> I had started the memtest86.
> I am not sure if each pass would run different tests.

yes, they do.

> Perhaps someone can expand on that.

2 places to look;

  /usr/share/doc/memtest86+-4.10/README

  http://www.memtest.org

--

peace out.

-+-
If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!
-+-
-+-

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6