Replacing cpu

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 19:21:23 UTC 2015

On 05/29/2015 08:18 AM, lokadamus at gmx.de wrote:
>> On 05/23/15 19:08, jd1008 wrote:
>>> I have an HP laptop with
>>> AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
>>> It is now causing blue screens in windows, and freezes
>>>   fbsd, pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live.
>>>
>>> I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
>>> found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).
>>>
>>> I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
>>> could it be that only one core is causing the problem?
>>>
>>> At any rate I wanted to replace it with
>>> AMD Turion II Ultra M660 TMM660DBO23GQ 2.7GHz Dual-Core Mobile CPU
>>> Processor, Socket S1
>>>
>>> Will I be running into any problems?
>>> Would the heat be an issue?
>>>
>>> These are the full technical data on it:
>>>
>>> General information
>> I'm think, i'm too late, but make a test with
>> http://www.superpi.net/ (not testet, but super pi was in the past a good
>> program)
>> or
>> http://www.cpuburnin.com/ (same problem, not testet in the last time)
>>
>> Start for every core one instance to bring up your CPU to 100% working.
>>
>> Greetings
Thanks to everyone's suggestions.

I finally had some cycles to open the laptop and cleanup up the
old dried up grease off the cpu and the heat sink and applied
the arctic silver. I smeared it in thin sheet on both the cpu and the
heat sink's contact surface.

I buttoned the thing back up and installed fc20 from DVD iso.
All went well during the install.
I booted and opened the file browser to browse the boot drive. No problems.
I immediately opened the file browser again to seperately browse another
drive
and it crashed instantly after the gui of the 2nd file browser came up.

I uploaded the screen image of crash message to
https://www.sendspace.com/file/exy97h

I noticed that during the installation of fc20, the air coming
out of the exhaust vent was almost scalding if I kept my finger there
for about a minute or so. By scalding, I mean if I had touched
a metal surface of that temperature for say 30 seconds, I would
have felt some pain.

Also, I noticed that the cooling fan remained at normal operating
speed, instead of spinning faster, as I usually hear it spin fast for
about a few seconds when I power it on.

So, I am not sure whether the problem is the fan or the cpu.

P.S: I also ran the memtest 86 full tests of 1 pass.
I installed fc20 after it had reached somewhere near the middle
of pass 2. It had detected no errors. 10 hours had passed since
I had started the memtest86.
I am not sure if each pass would run different tests. Perhaps
someone can expand on that.