Color aliasing. Was Re: Awk and sort (of text files)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jun 29 19:51:46 UTC 2015

On 06/29/2015 12:36 PM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> The colours are defined in the LS_COLORS environment variable.  You can
> use `dircolors -p` to see what means what.  The colours are shown as
> ANSI escape sequences.  You can "see" them by printing them like this:
>
>    $ echo -e '\e[00;36mfoo\e[0m'
>
> where \e[...m wraps the escape sequence.

Yes, and I know that there is a list somewhere of the human readable
names, or at least I know that I found one years ago.  There's no reason
that those names can't be used, either instead of, or along with the
escape sequences.  And, I object to the maintainers assuming that
everybody wants color instead of making it an option.  (That is, putting
the alias in .bashrc, possibly commented by default instead of hiding it
in /etc/bashrc where most users would be afraid to make changes, and it
gets overwritten with every update.)  I understand why
developers/maintainers tend to set things up with their own personal
preferences, but I do wish that more of them would at least try to
resist the temptation.  I've never experimented with other shells; do
they do the same type of thing, or is this mostly bash-specific.

(I've edited the subject line here because this fork of the thread isn't
about awk or sort any more, but I don't want to change the threading.)