Awk and sort (of text files)

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 19:36:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:15:20PM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/29/2015 12:06 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> >Because ls is aliased in my profile, which is what I use most of the
> >time :)
>
> I kind of thought that.  By default, Fedora aliases ls (and grep) to use
> color, which I don't like.  I'd not mind it if there were a HUMAN READABLE
> chart telling me what color means what, but there isn't.

The colours are defined in the LS_COLORS environment variable.  You can
use `dircolors -p` to see what means what.  The colours are shown as
ANSI escape sequences.  You can "see" them by printing them like this:

  $ echo -e '\e[00;36mfoo\e[0m'

where \e[...m wraps the escape sequence.

> At first, I got rid of it by tracking down where the alias was
> created, but every update to bash trashed it.  Now, I've fixed it
> permanently by putting these two lines down near the bottom of
> .bashrc:
>
> alias ls=ls
> alias grep=grep

You could always use unalias (bash).