Toshiba support in the kernel.

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Tue Jun 30 18:43:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:20:36 -0600
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Heinz Diehl <htd+ml at fritha.org>
> wrote:
> > On 30.06.2015, stan wrote:
> >
> >> That's the hard part of compiling a custom kernel; eliminating all
> >> the irrelevant modules and functionality.  I've looked, and there
> >> doesn't seem to be a program that scans the system, and only turns
> >> on hardware modules for the system scanned.
> >
> > "make localmodconfig" is what you're after. Be aware that
> > localmodconfig does exactly what you want. So if you e.g. don't have
> > connected a device containing an ext4 filesystem at the moment you
> > issue the command, ext4 support won't be in your new kernel.
>
> Does localmodconfig set drivers to n such that they aren't even
> compiled? Or are they m such that they are modules that are only
> loaded on demand? I'm going to guess the answer is n, the point of
> which is it saves a ton of compile time, not so much creating a lean
> kernel (as anything not needed wouldn't be loaded anyway). Correct?

I just compiled a kernel using localmodconfig, and you are exactly
right.  It set all the modules I didn't need to n, and the kernel
compiled a lot more quickly than usual.  The size of the kernel was
just slightly smaller than previously.  It used the configuration of
the running kernel as a starting point, so I didn't lose all the
other customization I had implemented over the iterations.  I'm just
about to boot into the new kernel, so the proof of the pudding will
soon be apparent.  If it boots, as it should, I'll be pleased with this
way of building kernels.