Leaping from F18 -> F21

Ben Blankley ben.blankley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 15:45:37 UTC 2015

The

> >> Personally, I had absolutely no problems leaping from f18 to f20 using
fedup.
> >> It worked flawlessly.
> >

> > I'll consider this as a possible method for upgrading the other two
machines.

> > A fresh install is a bit extreme, but on my attempts of moving from
F17-> F18 using fedup I recall a machine became unusable. Monitoring
subsequent releases (F19, F20, F21) and users using fedup as the upgrade
mechanism, there still seemed to be reports of unreliability, as in YMMV.

> > I also have an additional concern, since I'm somewhat reliant on
PostgreSQL and PostGIS, which require elevated vigilance across releases,
since the newer versions need to have data backuped and specially restored.

> >> That is not to sat that some f18 packages did not have updates in f21.
> >> That is why I still have some f18 packages, which still work without
any problems.

> > My experience so far is that I still can't use the Gnome Desktop
(Classic, Wayland, or otherwise) in F21 on my i686 Laptop (I can use Xfce
and MATE); I keep trying to find the correct  yum group to install; I also
keep adding packages, but I still haven't found the correct libraries
and/or packages so a typical Gnome Desktop appears correctly.

> > So, I would be grateful for any continuing guidance in this regard.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Max Pyziur
> > pyz at brama.com
> >

>From this post:

there may be a hidden yum group called "GNOME".

Try running 'yum grouplist hidden', and see what groups return? GNOME might
be listed there.

Ben Blankley
President - WCT, Board Member - WSC