How to increase maximum user cpu usage allowed on a multi core system?

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Thu Mar 12 18:42:17 UTC 2015

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 20:56:37 +0100
Heinz Diehl <htd+ml at fritha.org> wrote:

> Haven't looked into this for some time, but take a look into
> /usr/src/linux/kernel/sched/fair.c.
> (The CFS code is complex and difficult to understand, though - at
> least for me).

Took a quick look at this.  Only ~8000 lines of well documented code.
Yeah.  Except, to understand that code, it is necessary to understand a
lot about kernel context, and flow.  Not to mention all the possible
side effects a change here could cause.  Because of the research I did
with Gentoo experience, I'll assume that this code is working.  It's
many years old, and mature.  Discretion is the better part of
valor.  ;-)

> Btw, here is a good explanation of Linux SMP scheduling:
> http://tinyurl.com/o4nuaxr
>
> And also take a look here:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/scheduler/sched-design-CFS.txt
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.18/3.18-sched-bfs-460.patch
> (BFS is designed with latency in mind, not throughput).

Thanks.