Crashes of tainted kernels

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 21:29:55 UTC 2015

On 03/17/2015 02:51 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks at alldigital.com> wrote:
>> On 03/17/2015 01:26 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> If the kernel aborts and abrt determines it's a tainted
>> kernel, then it could pop up this list of additional sites and let the
>> user report the crash to a site on that list. Yes, this is an extension
>> to abrt, but I think a reasonable (and positive) one.
> If you know the site already, why not just file the bug directly on
> that bugzilla? Why does it need to be automated?
Because the user  is not provided with an easy
way to generate the crash report with a full stack dump
of all the CPUS, the full contents of RAM and the full
kernel binary - so that the dev (who would work on the report)
can do a reasonable stack trace. Kernel source is obtainable
easily enough, ditto with the source of the "tainting" modules.

Also, how about abrt CREATE the full report, and let the user
save it  in a file, and submit it to anyone s/he desires?
Is THAT too much to ask for???