Raid vs rsync -

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 19 11:44:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:27:08AM +0100, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> I would recommend rsnapshot.  It makes setting up an rsync & cron based
> incremental backup system very easy.  The only downside is recovery is a
> rather manual process.  For a more full-blown solution with rsync,
> BackupPC might be interesting to the OP.

You might also look into rdiff-backup. It has an advantage for remote
backups as it stores metadata separately (and so you can write
somewhere you don't have root, or even to weird filesystems which don't
understand acls (or even permissions).

We also have newer entry in Fedora, ZBackup, which does deduplication,
too. I haven't used it, but it looks promising.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>