hdparm problem

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 03:53:57 UTC 2015

On 03/20/2015 03:16 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 03/20/2015 02:13 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>>
>> It made no difference :(
>
> If nothing else, the test took very little time and completely
> eliminated a possibility.  Thanx for letting us know.
The funny thing, is I ran a thorough full disk drive stress test using a
stress tester I found online.
All tests passed (took many hours to stress test 2TB drive).
All tests passed without errors.

Yet, when I run the hdparm secure erase, drive reports write errors for
all sectors so far.
It has been running for many hours, and last time I looked, it was at
sector 115,744,312

Every sector ???? Why would the drive which is supposed to be using
it's own internal logic to do the secure erase, report write errors to
the host?
Does the host request notifications of such errors?