hdparm problem

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 24 04:32:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM, jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Every sector ???? Why would the drive which is supposed to be using
> it's own internal logic to do the secure erase, report write errors to the
> host?
> Does the host request notifications of such errors?

I've never had any drive report anything other than completion even
when the drive had known bad sectors. There was no status of anykind,
the hdparm command has no progress reporting at all, so it just seems
to hang, and then it returns.

And for drives with bad sectors, they were still bad sectors after ATA
Secure Erase suggesting that while they're zero'd the firmware does no
confirmation read and as such isn't checking for persistent write
problems for the purpose of sector remapping. It's pretty much just a
fast way to zero out a drive. To ascertain bad sectors and cause them
to be remapped means using dd or badblocks with the proper blocksize
(a multiple of 4096 bytes).

--
Chris Murphy