Does KDE do offline software updates?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 25 04:18:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 17:33 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> quite frequently I can update packages without restarting anything, so
> forcing a restart would be overkill.

Likewise...  Though, these days, I'm running Mate on a current release,
rather than Gnome (I'm using Gnome on some out-of-date installs).

Thus far, I can only remember finding Firefox to foul up if you try to
keep using it when an update has been installed.  Obviously you need to
fully quit and restart it to use the new version, but not so obvious is
that it doesn't always fully quit when you think it should have.

Though I don't use a great deal of software, it's rare that I'm using
much more than a web browser, mail client, IM client, text editor, and a
command line terminal.  A few other things get started, from time to
time, but those are the few that will be running nearly any time I'm
logged in.

Over the years, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well most things
(just about everything) handled updates being applied while they were
running.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.18.9-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 9 17:04:05 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.