Emacs and Ibus in Fedora-21

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Sun Mar 29 21:32:16 UTC 2015

I just moved from Fedora-15 to Fedora-21 and another breakage
that occurs is using Emacs with Ibus.  I've been using Emacs
since the dark ages and I also need to enter and edit Japanese
text.

This worked fine through many versions of Fedora and Ibus (or
its predecessors) up to Fedora-15 when I had to start running
Emacs with a command like "LC_TYPE=ja_JP.utf8 emacs" to get it
to accept Japanese characters.

Now in Fedora-21, the above command now longer works and I can't
find any way of getting Emacs to input Japanese characters other
than its own very awkward and poor built-in IME.  It appears the
migration to a completely broken combination has been completed
successfully. :-(

Googling has not turned up much beyond a bunch of non-working,
contradictory or old information.

Is there any way to get Emacs to work with Ibus?