Emacs and Ibus in Fedora-21

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Mon Mar 30 00:21:52 UTC 2015

On 03/29/2015 03:59 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 03/30/15 05:32, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>> I just moved from Fedora-15 to Fedora-21 and another breakage that
>> occurs is using Emacs with Ibus.  I've been using Emacs since the
>> dark ages and I also need to enter and edit Japanese text.
>> [...]
>> Is there any way to get Emacs to work with Ibus?
>
> I am a not an emacs user, but am an ibus user.
>
> Are you talking about using emacs within a terminal window?  Or what
> I experienced below.

What you experienced below.  Emacs can be run as "emacs -nw"
(-nw -> no window?) in which case it runs in the terminal
window: reads from stdin and writes to stdout (or the like)
so all input and output is in inside the terminal window.
Running this way, ibus and Japanese work fine, just as they
do for any program (eg bash) running in the terminal window.

But just running "emacs" opens a separate gui window, and
that's where I am having the problem and it seems you are not.

> I installed emacs and started it with "emacs testj" in a terminal in
> it launched its own window.  I then entered into ibus Anthy mode and
> was able to insert Japanese and Chinese text without problems.  I
> have LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8".

That's odd.  That's what's not happening for me.  I was using
libkkc and ibus-kkc as my Japanese IME, I somehow got the idea
from the Fedora docs that it had replaced Anthy and hadn't
realized Anthy was still available.

I installed anthy and anthy-ibus, select anthy as the IME, but
the problem still remains: anything I type in the emacs windows
appears as English text and not Japanese regardless of the IME
selection.

But thanks, I am happy to find out that a solution may be at
least possible!