Emacs and Ibus in Fedora-21

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon Mar 30 03:35:27 UTC 2015

On 03/30/15 08:21, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> On 03/29/2015 03:59 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> I installed emacs and started it with "emacs testj" in a terminal in
>> it launched its own window.  I then entered into ibus Anthy mode and
>> was able to insert Japanese and Chinese text without problems.  I
>> have LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8".
>
> That's odd.  That's what's not happening for me.  I was using
> libkkc and ibus-kkc as my Japanese IME, I somehow got the idea
> from the Fedora docs that it had replaced Anthy and hadn't
> realized Anthy was still available.
>
> I installed anthy and anthy-ibus, select anthy as the IME, but
> the problem still remains: anything I type in the emacs windows
> appears as English text and not Japanese regardless of the IME
> selection.
>
> But thanks, I am happy to find out that a solution may be at
> least possible!

Yes, that is odd.  FWIW, I'm running F21 and KDE.  If you were running KDE and having problem with ibus and input into libreoffice I would have the answer to that!  :-) :-)

Oh, and BTW, when I said I had no problem to enter Chinese I was using the "Intelligent Pinyin" input method.  I also used the "Kana Kanji" method to input Japanese.

One thing you can try is to create a new user and see if the same problem exists.