F21: why Fedora still has not alternative init?

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:07:39 UTC 2015

I find the attitude of many of the senior fedora people quite
disappointing. There is no freedom, there is ZERO choice on this issue.
It's a dictatorship.

My observations are that the systemd people are not the best people for the
job. In fact, they are probably at the complete other end of the spectrum.
They don't appear to listen to users. They appear to focus their effort on
starting laptop computers, while ignoring the majority of linux use cases.

systemd is not for servers. But apparently, it's not for embedded, mobile
phone, or tablet either. In fact, systemd doesn't run on anything that
doesn't run glibc. Now i know these are not relevant to fedora. Lately I
have been questioning the relevance of fedora anyway. Mailing list volume
has reduced to a trickle. Diminishing users. We really are only a beta for
RHEL.

Honestly, systemd is already irrelevant in the grand scheme of linux. It
was a nice experiment, and has some great ideas. What was sold to us way
back in 2010 is NOT what we have today. We were sold an init replacement.
Instead, we have a madman taking over every aspect of the computer with
lots of new, untested code, full of half baked ideas.

It's not enterprise. And anyone who says it is clearly doesn't do
enterprise linux for a living.