Biting the bullet?

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon May 11 19:51:00 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 06:16:03PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> > Well, I guess you are aware that RHL/RHEL never supported upgrading? In
> > Fedora, upgrading is supposed to work.
>
> It's not the upgrading process that's the problem. It's that the newer
> software tends to be broken in anything but the default configuration.
> I upgraded my girlfriend's desktop to F21 and it's literally unusable
> now. She has to use her laptop instead (which is also barely usable
> due to unwanted UI changes forced onto end users). Modern Linux is
> becoming like Apple - "we know what's best for you, and if you don't
> like that, you're wrong".

I'd argue that it's not "modern linux" so much as it is projects like
Gnome who foist that horrid thing on us and try to tell us it's better.

Of course, the individual distros weren't forced to use it and they did
anyway...

If the reason your GF's laptop/desktop are largely unusable is that she
can't deal with Gnome, you should try some of the other desktops that are
available. Me, I've added the epel repo and done "yum group install mate
desktop", which looks pretty much identical to Gnome 2 and is therefore
usable. at first login after doing that installation and rebooting,
choose MATE from the "gear" icon's dropdown on the login screen.

                    The Lord detests the way of the wicked