Biting the bullet?

Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:16:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:53 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

>>> The problem is that newer versions tend to break everything, which
>>> makes for a sucky end user experience. I've been doing this since Red
>>> Hat 3.0.3 and up, so it's not as if this is all new to me.
>
> Well, I guess you are aware that RHL/RHEL never supported upgrading? In
> Fedora, upgrading is supposed to work.

It's not the upgrading process that's the problem. It's that the newer
software tends to be broken in anything but the default configuration.
I upgraded my girlfriend's desktop to F21 and it's literally unusable
now. She has to use her laptop instead (which is also barely usable
due to unwanted UI changes forced onto end users). Modern Linux is
becoming like Apple - "we know what's best for you, and if you don't
like that, you're wrong".

Tet

--
"Java is a DSL for taking large XML files and converting them to stack
traces" -- Bulat Shakirzyanov