SD cafd read only

Peter Skensved peter at jay.Phy.QueensU.CA
Sun May 17 00:06:07 UTC 2015

> On 16/05/15 17:36, Joe Zeff wrote:
> >>
> >> I really believe this thing has failed.
> >
> > You're probably right.  Still, before tossing it, if toss it you must,
> > what do you get from this:
> >
> > fdisk -l /dev/sdh
> >
> > Does that show the full size, or just the 3.9GB?  If nothing else, we
> > might learn something about the card's failure modes.
> > --
> .
> [root at box10 /]# fdisk -l /dev/sdh
> Disk /dev/sdh: 3.7 GiB, 3906453504 bytes, 7629792 sectors
> Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
>
> Just the 3.9GB, the other 12 is not accessible.

  Are you sure this is really a 16GB card ? Lots SD cards and USB cards ( even
branded ones ) are fake and do not hold anywhere near the stated capacity. You
may want to try to run f3write / f3read ( from http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/ )
on it to see what the actual capacity is.

 With a fake card everytig works well until the real capacity is filled at which
point it just keeps overwriting itself until completely scrambled.

 The kernel will usually react to this by remounting it read only.

                                        peter