Replacing laptop cpu

Ronal B Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Sun May 24 18:49:00 UTC 2015

On 05/23/2015 11:03 AM, jd1008 wrote:
> I have an HP laptop with
> AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
> It is now causing blue screens in windows and freezes
> linux (pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live).
>
> I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
> found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).
>
> I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
> could it be that only one core is causing the problem?

I think an earlier poster in this thread (Vacelaevus) might have
identified a likely problem.

A few years ago there were a number of HP laptops sold with defective
G8400/G8600 series nVidia graphics chips...out of spec solder or
something as I recall. The symptoms were as you described...the machine
would work normally for a period of time and then unexpectedly
blue-screen, especially under heavy load. In some cases the problem
occurred only intermittently. In some cases, the machine would appear to
work normally after they had been allowed to cool down.

In your specific case, memtest doesn't put a very heavy load on the GPU,
so it may not have warmed up sufficiently for the problem to manifest.

If your laptop has an nVIdia G8400/G8600/G9200/G9400 series GPU it is
highly likely that is the cause of the problem and replacing the CPU
will not help. The only recourse is to replace the entire motherboard as
the GPU is not user replaceable.

The HP customer service website for your model laptop may contain
additional information.

RBM