Default Google-Chrome

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Thu May 28 05:03:18 UTC 2015

On 05/27/2015 05:09 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 05/27/2015 11:22 AM, Mickey wrote:
>> Fedora 21/KDE
>>
>> I have in KDE Settings the Google-Chrome as default Web Browser.
>>
>> How do I setup that when I'm reading my Emails in Thunderbird and I
>> click on a Web Link in a email and I want the link to open in Chrome,
>> but it always opens in Firefox. How do I change that ?
>
> Go to:
>
>      Edit Menu->Preferences->Advanced
>
> Click on the "General" tab. The lower right side will have a button:
>
>      Config Editor...
>
> Click on that button, and click the "I'll be careful, I promise"
> button. Now you're in the config editor.
>
> In the search box, enter "network.protocol-handler.app.http". Two
> things are now possible:
> A) If nothing shows up, you need to add a couple of entries. Right-click
> in the window and select "New->String". In the "New String Value"
> window, type in
>
>      network.protocol-handler.app.http
>
> and hit ENTER or click "Ok". In the "Enter string value" window, put in
> the FULL path to the chrome binary you want. In my case:
>
>      /opt/google/chrome/chrome
>
> Press ENTER again or click "Ok" and now you should have a new entry
> that looks like:
>
>      network.protocol-handler.app.http   user-set   string
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome
>
> Repeat that process, but add "network.protocol-handler.app.https" to
> handle "https://" links in your emails and you should have two entries:
>
>      network.protocol-handler.app.http   user-set   string
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome
>      network.protocol-handler.app.https  user-set   string
> /opt/google/chrome/chrome

> B) There are entries, but they're pointing somewhere else. In this case,
> just double-click on the entry and in the pop-up window, put in the path
> to your Chrome binary and press ENTER or click "Ok".
>
> That oughta do it. Here's the link from Mozilla:
>
>      http://kb.mozillazine.org/Changing_the_web_browser_invoked_by_Thunderbird
>
> Keep in mind the navigation path they talk about:
>
>      Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Config editor
>
> is aimed at Windows users. The equivalent for Linux is:
>
>      Edit menu->Preferences->Advanced->General tab->"Config Editor..."
> button
>
> that I talked about above. You will need to restart Thunderbird for
> this to take effect.
>
> Good luck!
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks at alldigital.com -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2 -
> -  Diplomacy: The art of saying "Nice doggy!" until you can find a   -
> -                            big enough rock.                        -
Thanks Rick!  Thunderbird has been driving me up a wall for quite some
time. On F20 and F21, it would open all links in FF when the system
default browser was Google Chrome. Now in F22, I've switched to FF as my
default browser, but T-bird opened all https links in emails with
Konquerer. This fixes it.

Dan

--
Dan Mossor, RHCSA