Is upgrading to fedora 23 safe?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 10 17:04:55 UTC 2015

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 12:08:23PM -0600, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> So, I have been only doing the following:
>
> sudo dnf distro-sync --releasever=23
>
> on my fully updated F22 systems. This appears to avert the
> possibility of a system that is unusable while being upgraded. What
> are the pitfalls with my approach?

Usually works fine. However, it is somewhat less safe, the system is in
an inconsistent state until you reboot, with no easy way to distinguish
which processes are using new and old versions of libraries.

Also, and best, if you're using btrfs, systemd will make a snapshot,
and so you'll get either an upgraded system... or if there's a problem,
no change. Unfortuantely, there are _other_ problems with btrfs, so
that's not the default (or recommended). Possibly we'll have this same
functionality with LVM in the future.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>