No sound on Fedora 21

Frank McCormick beacon at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 10 18:55:48 UTC 2015

On 11/10/2015 01:36 PM, Emmett Culley wrote:
> On 11/10/2015 07:32 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:
>> I am running Fedora 21 and after the latest updates I have no sound
>> on my machine.
>>
>> aplay -l shows no sound cards. Mixers such as alsamixer show only Pulseaudio
>> master and the output is full.
>>
>> Can someone suggest how to debug this ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> This happened to me as well.  Then I noticed that I was booting to a old Fedora 22 kernel (4.0.1-100.  Upon investigation I found some strange entries in grub.conf.  Strange in that there were references to the Fedroa 22 kernel.
>
> Removing those reference didn't help.  Neither did selecting an older (F21) kernel from the list help, as the system would not boot at all.  I was left with a dracut prompt.
>
> I lost sound, and all USB support.  Plus my network failed to start as it appeared that bridge support was missing.
>
> Finally I installed grub again on /dev/sda and now I am booting to 4.1.10-100-f21 as expected and everything works again.
>
> Emmett

    That's almost identical to what happened to me...except I only lost
sound and it only happened after
I installed grub from my Debian Sid partition. Once I re-installed it
from Fedora, the sound problem disappeared.
But then I had no entry in the menu for Windows. So I re-ran
grub2-mkconfig and Windows re-appeared!!

I'd file a bug except I don't know whether it's a Debian problem or a
Fedora problem. There must be some
incompatibility between grub in both systems. I guess I'll just leave
grub installed from Fedora.

I wish there were a better way to handle two partitions of different
Linux's.